Several people have been killed and others injured during an attack in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg, according to local police.
The suspected attacker was using a bow and arrow, a spokesman for Norway’s southeastern police district, which includes Kongsberg, told CNN on Wednesday. Local police were first alerted to the suspect at 6:15 PM local time, he added.
The attacker is believed to have acted alone. Øyvind Aas, Drammen Police Chief told a press conference that an arrest had been made and there is “no active search for more people.”
The perpetrator “moved over a large area” while carrying out the attack, according to Aas.
“Unfortunately, we can confirm that there are several injured and several killed as a result of the action. The injured have been taken to hospital for treatment. The Kongsberg municipality has been notified and has set up crisis teams to assist and follow up with those who need it,” he said.
Authorities have not ruled out the possibility of a terror attack. “From the course of events, it is natural to consider whether this is an act of terrorism,” Aas said.
“The apprehended person has not been questioned, and it is therefore too early to say anything about this and what was the person’s motivation.”
Kongsberg is located 85 kilometers (about 53 miles) west of capital city Oslo.
In the wake of the attack, Norwegian police across the country have been given the rare order to carry firearms as a precaution.
“Due to the serious incident in Kongsberg where several people were killed and injured tonight, the police in Norway are temporarily armed,” the Norwegian Police directorate said in a statement on Wednesday.
“This is an additional emergency measure,” the statement added. “The police currently have no concrete indications that there is a change in the threat level in the country.”
Monica Mæland, the minister of justice and public security, is monitoring the situation in Kongsberg, the ministry tweeted.